Preparing for baby: The essentials shopping list
One thing you’ll quickly realize about having a baby is there are many things you’ll need to feed, clothe, protect, and amuse him.
Before you spend money on things you don’t really need, have a look at our list of the essentials. You may be able to borrow some items from friends or family, but make sure any second-hand items (especially something like a crib) meet minimum current safety standards. Some products, like car seats, actually have an expiry date on them, beyond which it’s not safe to use them.
Health Canada has up-to-date information on product safety that will be helpful.
- Stroller and/or baby carrier
- Infant diapers (cloth or disposable)
- Mild soap and mild laundry detergent
- Infant sleepers, hats, and booties, onesies
- Infant mittens (to cover your baby’s sharp nails)
- Infant snowsuit or bunting bag (for winter babies)
- Lanolin cream for sore or cracked nipples
Reviewed by the following CPS committees:
- Public Education Advisory Committee
Last Updated: April 2013