How much physical activity for your baby?
Babies should be active several times during the day doing things like rolling, crawling and going outdoors.
Minimize sedentary time (e.g., sitting for more than 1 hour at a time).
Screen time is not recommended for children under 2 years of age.
Be active every day
|What being active means
||How to increase physical activity
||How to reduce sedentary behaviour
- Tummy time
- Reaching for or grasping balls or other toys
- Playing or rolling on the floor
- Crawling around the home
- Create safe spaces for play
- Play music, learn action songs together
- Play/explore indoors and outdoors
- Play with other children
- Walk or bike instead of driving
- Crawl, take a brisk walk, hop, skip, run, dance
- Limit use of playpens and infant seats when baby is awake
- Stop for playtime during long car trips
- Set rules to limit screen time
- Keep TVs and computers out of bedrooms
More tools for you
Last Updated: September 2013