How much physical activity for your preschooler?
At least 3 hours of physical activity spread throughout the day including both planned activities and free play.
By the time children are 5 years old, this should include at least 60 minutes of energetic play each day.
Minimize sedentary time (e.g., sitting for more than 1 hour at a time).
Children under 2 years old: Screen time is not recommended.
Children 2 to 4 years old: Limit screen time to less than 1 hour every day.
Be active every day
Be smart with screens
|What being active means
||How to increase physical activity
||How to reduce sedentary behaviour
- Any kind of movement (e.g., climbing stairs, crawling, walking).
- Create safe spaces for play
- Play music, learn action songs together
- Play/explore indoors and outdoors
- Play with other children
- Walk or bike instead of driving
- Crawl, take a brisk walk, hop, skip, run, dance
- Limit use of playpens and infant seats when baby is awake
- Stop for playtime during long car trips
- Set rules to limit screen time
- Keep TVs and computers out of bedrooms
More tools for you
Last Updated: September 2013